Health Help
Accessing Healthcare Coverage for All Mississippians

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Mississippi Health Benefits?

Through Mississippi Health Benefits, there are two health insurance options that cover children: the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) and Medicaid. CHIP is a free/low cost private health plan for children in families meeting family size/income requirements. This program covers eligible children to their 19th birthday. Mississippi Medicaid is a health care program that helps pay for medical services for low-income people. For those eligible for full Medicaid services, Medicaid is paid to providers of health care. Providers are doctors, hospitals and pharmacists who take Medicaid. Please click here for a Medicaid application.

How do I enroll or reenroll in Medicaid or children CHIP?

Applications for Mississippi Health Benefits are available by mail and at many locations that serve children’s needs like your Medicaid Regional Offices, local health departments, community health centers, rural health clinics, Head Start centers, public schools, and some hospitals and private clinics.

Families are urged to apply to see if their children are eligible for either program. If you have any questions or need assistance with this process you can call Health Help at 1-877-314-3843.

What do I do if my child’s health benefits have lapsed?

If your child’s benefits have lapsed please call Health Help at 1-877-314-3843. We will counsel you on what you need and where to go to renew your child’s benefits.

Where should I go to enroll myself or family in Medicaid or CHIP?

You can apply for Medicaid or CHIP in person at any Regional Office or outstation site. Call Health Help at 1-877-314-3843 to get assistance in finding the nearest Medicaid office or outstation. You can also send in an application by mail, fax, or email.

Does your organization assist residents to file appeals or complaints regarding private health insurance?

Yes! Please call Health Help at 1-877-314-3843 for private insurance assistance.